Friday, October 22, 2010

Canned Tomato Sauce




Made these seven quarts today. About twenty-five pounds of plum tomatoes (those are the little ones) were processed by first boiling and then running them through the food mill. These jars each are about four pounds of tomatoes. The skins went to the chickens along with the moldy ones. Those chickens are eating good these days. Old baguettes and lettuce scraps are among their daily diet. They have been free-ranging inside the neighbor's fenced in dog yard. They get to hang out in the trees eating bugs and weeds. For a while now I have been feeding them organic grain but it is too expensive and I think we have to go back to the conventional mix. Oh well. 70 cents/Lb. Vs. 30 cents/Lb. ...too big of a difference to make that purchase all the time. Their food is supplemented a lot with produce and other things I bring home or from the gardens. Maybe if they start to lay one of these days I will stick with the expensive good stuff, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex - this is Jai Michael Polera's buddy from the day of the plaza pickup...

    I would like to see your place sometime.

    email me at jayadeva@aol.com or call 930-9339 sometime and I will happily meet you to visit your garden.

    JD

    ReplyDelete